Monday, December 05, 2005

Rex Grossman vs. Kyle Orton.

I, Slim Tim, being of sound mind and body will now firmly plant my foot on the Rex Grossman side of the fence.

I have come to discover that there are no fence sitters when it comes to the Rex Grossman vs. Kyle Orton debate, either you are for one or you are for the other. There is no question that Bears fans ultimately want to win consistently now and in the future. The real question is who is that quarterback to lead them there?

I am not here to bash Kyle, especially because he is the quarterback of the team that has won 9 games thus far this season, but more to show my support for the Rex factor. Here is the support to back up my decision...

Rex Grossman delivers the ball much quicker than Kyle Orton delivers the ball. In the current Bears offense, the QB needs to make quick decisions. This means that Rex has made quicker decisions (from the games that I saw) and goes through his progressions quicker than Kyle. The evidence is there to support this in the week 13 game vs. Green Bay when Kyle several times held the ball too long.

Rex is a more mobile quarterback than Kyle Orton. Rex Grossman can run the ball well when needed. Although this is often when Rex gets hurt, it is good to know that if needed when rushed out of the pocket, Rex can run.

Those two factors are relatively intangible, now I will state for the record some hard numbers to back up my support:

Keep in mind that Kyle Orton has started 12 games to Rex Grossman's 6 games.

Passing Statistics:
QB Rating:
Rex Grossman: 71.1
Kyle Orton: 60.2

Career Completion PCT:
Rex: 54.5
Kyle: 53.4

Yards Per Average:
Rex: 6.69
Kyle: 5.15

Longest Pass Completion:
Rex: 59
Kyle: 54

Passes over 20 yards:
Rex: 15 (with half as many games)
Kyle: 19

Passes over 40 yards:
Rex: 2 (with half as many games)
Kyle: 2

TD to INT ratio:
Rex: 3/4
Kyle: 9/13

Rushing Statistics:
Rex: 14/47 1 TD
Kyle: 20/36 0 TD

Rex: 3.4 Avg Yards per carry
Kyle: 1.8 Avg Yards per carry


There you have it. I am no longer a fence sitter. I am on the Rex side of the fence for good. You read it here first on the 31st of August that if the Bears were winning in spite of Kyle Orton and not because of him, that fans would be calling for Rex's return. I don't want to say that I told you so, but I told you so... the Bears are winning and fans - including myself are calling for Rex to return. Rex's return might mean that timing between the QB position and Muhsin Muhammad might come to life. Rex's return could also mean a QB that does not rank in the bottom of the league week after week. Rex's return will bring balance to a team in dire need of a passing game to complement the running game, defense and special teams that are incredible. Knowing what it is like to be at a Bears game, I hope for the day when Bears fan stand on their feet all game long and not just when the defense is on the field. And lastly, I wish that a Bears player other than RB would be taken someday in the first round of a fantasy draft. That player is Rex Grossman.

- Slim Tim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slim,

While Rex may have been better at rushing and getting rid of the ball in earlier games, remember he is coming off of his third injury. How fast and apt to run is he going to be after being knocked out for the season three times?

Timothy S. Paulin said...

In response... what is the worst that could happen? Rex comes in and gets hurt on the first play? Then where are we? Right back to where we started, correct?

But, what else could happen? Rex could take advantage of the EXTREME amount of time given to the the Quarterback, by the offensive line, and actually make something out of the passing game! We could actually have a balanced team for once. Excellent offense and excellent defense.

- Slim Tim.

Anonymous said...

Lovie will wait until the streak ends and promote Rex back to his old job.

We've got two qbs now, and history says we'll need both of them. But Rex is our starter.

Amen.

Anonymous said...

It's about time!!!!! I've been preying and preaching the importance of the return of Rex since I saw Orton play his first game. I was so tired of hearing people say Kyle has created a winning streak.....He didn't do anything but not score td's. We have the defense to thank for that winning streak. I always said, the first time the defense has an off day you Orton lovers will see how non-effective he is......Pittsburgh. I rest my case.